Understanding your transportation benefit
We offer transportation support to help eligible AmeriHealth Caritas District of Columbia (DC) members get to appointments and obtain medications. Here is an overview of the non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT) program.
- What is NEMT?
- Who can use NEMT?
- What services can I get a ride to?
- How do I get a ride?
- What do I do after I schedule my trip?
- How do I get gas reimbursement?
- What do I do if I need to cancel or change my trip?
What is NEMT?
NEMT stands for non-emergency medical transportation. NEMT is for people who have no other way to get to their health care appointment. MTM may use gas reimbursement, public buses, vans, taxis, or even an ambulance to get you to your health care appointment. MTM will schedule a ride that meets your needs.
Who can use NEMT?
To find out if you are eligible for NEMT services call AmeriHealth Caritas DC at 1-800-408-7511 (TTY/TDD: 1-800-570-1190). We provide trips for eligible members only, unless the member requires the help of a caregiver, in which case the caregiver will also be eligible for services.
What services can I get a ride to?
You can get a ride to a medical appointment if:
- The service is covered.
- You are seen by an approved health care provider.
- The appointment is to a health care provider near where you live. If the provider is far away, you may need another approval.
- Pharmacy trips are covered only when they are right after a medical appointment.
How do I get a ride?
Call MTM at 1-800-315-3485 as soon as you know you have an appointment. Calls will be answered from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We can schedule your trip up to one month in advance. You must call at least 3 business days before your appointment. A friendly customer service representative will ask for the following information:
- Your full name, current address, and phone number
- Your Medicaid ID number
- The date of your appointment
- The name, address and phone number of where you are going
- The name, address, and phone number of your doctor
- The medical reason you need a ride
- The type of appointment (doctor, lab test, therapy, etc.)
- The type of assistance or mobility aide(s), if any, you require
Please have this information ready when you call.
What do I do after I schedule my trip?
Please note: This does not apply to bus trips.
- The driver will call you and tell you the time you will be picked up and give you their phone number. Keep this number handy.
- Be ready 60 minutes before your pick up time.
- The driver can come to your door to help you if you need it. The driver cannot come into your home.
- If you have a schedule ride back, your ride should pick you up within less than 30 minutes after your appointment is over.
- If you must call your driver for pick up after your appointment, your ride should arrive in less than 60 minutes.
- If you have to wait longer than 60 minutes, call the number the driver gave you.
- Call “Where’s My Ride?” at 1-800-315-3485 if you ride does not show up.
How do I get gas reimbursement?
You may be able to get help with gas costs if you have a car; or a caregiver, family member, friend, or neighbor who can drive you. This must be approved before your appointment. Call AmeriHealth Caritas DC at 1-800-408-7511 (TTY/TDD: 1-800-570-1190) for more information.
What do I do if I need to cancel or change my trip?
Call MTM at 1-800-315-3485 with any changes or to cancel your appointment. Please call as soon as you know of the change. If you do not keep your appointment, you will be marked as a no-show.
Basic guidelines for riding the bus
- Call MTM at 1-800-315-3485 to schedule your ride.
- Tickets or passes will be delivered to your home or mailed to you.
- Use the route map to plan your trip.
- Be at the bus stop several minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
- Make sure you have your bus pass ready when you board the bus.
Top 5 reasons to ride the bus:
- You are in charge of managing your time.
- Riding the bus is safer than car travel.
- Riding the bus is convenient and very reliable.
- You can get daily exercise by walking to the bus stop.
- Taking a bus is better for the environment.
Transportation services: 1-800-315-3485 (TTY: 1-866-428-7588)
Hours of operation to schedule transportation:
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.