Pathways to Work Internship
Pathways to Work is a 12-week, paid, on-the-job internship at AmeriHealth Caritas District of Columbia.
Interns will work in the health care industry and perform tasks like:
- Interacting with members by telephone
- Using health care databases to track member data
- Assist in office administration projects
Interns will also participate in hospitality and tourism training through the University of District of Columbia Workforce Development and Lifelong Learning program. The hospitality training combines a competency-based curriculum with the American Hotel & Lodging Association’s Certified Guest Service Professional curriculum. The program offers certifications in hospitality, guest services, customer service, and front desk service.
Interns will have many resources available, including a coach who will guide them through the program. When Pathways to Work ends, graduated interns will receive 90 days of job placement support and coaching from employment readiness professionals.
Interns will also get foundational training in:
- Health Care 101 — an overview of our current health care system and the role AmeriHealth Caritas plays as a managed care organization
- Office essentials — basic computer, Microsoft Office, general communication skills (such as answering phone calls, taking messages, and proper greetings), and workplace etiquette
- Financial literacy — how to manage and budget monetary compensation
- Emotional intelligence — how to recognize one’s own feelings and those of others, self-motivate, and manage emotions and relationships
If you are interested in being a part of the next cohort of Pathways to Work, you must:
- Be 18 years old or older
- Be a current District of Columbia resident with proof of address
- Have a high school diploma or GED equivalent
For selected candidates, additional required criteria include:
- Background check
- Drug screening
Applicants from households with two or more children are preferred.
We are not accepting applications at this time for the winter 2018 class. Please look out for enrollment opportunities for Cohort 6, which begins in fall 2019.
For more information or to partner with the program, please contact email@example.com.