Know your pharmacist
There are many ways your pharmacist can help you.
Pharmacists know how medicines work and the best ways to take them. They also know about health conditions like diabetes, asthma, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and mental health.
It can be difficult to keep track of all the medicines you’re supposed to take, especially if you take more than one. Pharmacists help you understand:
- Why you need the medicine
- What time of the day you should take it
- How the medicine will affect you
- Which medicines are okay to take together
- How to give medicine to your child
Your primary care provider (PCP) is an expert on health conditions. Your pharmacist is an expert on medicines. It’s free to talk to your pharmacist. Talk to your pharmacist when you pick up your medicines.
Here are some questions you can ask your pharmacist:
- What is this medicine for?
- How long do I need to take it?
- When and how do I take my medicine?
- How long will it take to work?
- Are there any side effects?
- Can I stop it if I have side effects?
- What should I do if I forget?
- Can I take this with my other medicine?
- Should I keep taking it if I feel better?
- How should I store it?
The American Pharmacists Association found that people who know their pharmacist’s name are twice as likely to ask questions and better understand how their medicines work. A study by Northwestern University found that it is common for patients to not understand medicine label instructions. Get to know your pharmacist and your medicines. It will help improve the health of you and your family.
Feel your best every day by taking your medicine as your doctor and pharmacist say. Write down all of your medicines. Be sure to update your medicine list when your medicines change. Show your medicine list to your doctor and pharmacist when you see them.
Learn more about how to understand your medicines so you can stay healthy.
Please call your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions or need help. You can also call AmeriHealth Caritas District of Columbia Pharmacy Member Services at 1-888-452-3647 (TTY 1-888-989-0073).